CUBANO HOT DOGS
- 8 fat free hot dogs (Hebrew National 97% FAT FREE)
- 8 good quality hot dog rolls (whole wheat if you can find them)
- Yellow mustard
- 1 small 4 ounce can of pickled jalapenos (hot) or green chilies (mild), drained well and finely chopped
- 8 slices low -fat deli ham
- 8 thin slices FAT FREE Swiss cheese (Try Borden Fat Free Slices)
- 8 homemade or store bought pickle spears
- Heat griddle pan or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Split dogs lengthwise and open them up like a book, grill them up until crispy on both sides.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Arrange split rolls on a baking sheet. Top rolls with lots of mustard, chopped chilies, ham and Swiss cheese, broil just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Place Dogs on top of melted cheese in rolls and fill the crevice with a pickle spear.
It's not gourmet folks...it's just a hot dog. But for what it's worth, it really was pretty good! If you have ever had fat free hot dogs, then you know they just don't really compare to the real thing. However, dress it up with some chilies, mustard, ham, cheese and a crunchy pickle; now you have got something great! Next time you are feelin' the urge for a simple, classic meal the whole family will love, consider these Cubano Hot Dogs. Cook-out season is quickly approaching. How about adding a little something sassy to your ordinary hot dog?
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving): 225 calories; 3g fat; 31 carbohydrate; 19g protein; .7g fiber
SAVES: 230 calories & 25g fat
**Recipe inspired by Rachael Ray. Find original recipe here.